Monday, September 8, 2008

2008 Presidential Election


"To the families of special-needs children all across this country, I have a message: For years, you sought to make America a more welcoming place for your sons and daughters. I pledge to you that if we are elected, you will have a friend and advocate in the White House." - Sarah Palin

And with that - I was officially supporting the McCain / Palin ticket. It's very well known in my family I am a Republican. I have been fighting with myself this year because I wasn't really big on McCain - yea, I was probably going to vote for him - but I didn't have a lot of confidence. I was hoping he would put Romney on the ticket - I supported him in the primaries and would have felt better with him on the ticket.

Well - to the entire nations suprise McCain picked Sarah Palin. Within hours we knew all about her family and I read about her most recent son Trig who had Downs Syndrome. My first comment to my wife was - someone in the White House with a soft spot for kids with special needs - what a no brainer vote this is going to be. She wasn't so sure at first - as a lot of people are saying - how can she raise a special needs child and be away so much being VP. But when she uttered those words above during her acceptance speech - wow - I was blown away.

Since when have children with special needs been put in such a national spotlight? How great for the entire special needs community can a VP - a woman no less - with a special needs child be for this country? There was a really good article in USA Today today (that sounds funny) and I'm linking it below. [Don't know if I can - I'm still learning the whole blogosphere sharing and linking thing - so I will say it is being linked with no malicious intent so if I've done something wrong I'm sorry and will correct immediately if contacted.]


So I will be an unabashed supported of McCain / Palin for the next 2 months. Not only is it the party that empodies my ideals - but it now has a candidate that embodies my new life passion - the special needs community.

It's strange - when Hayden was diagnosed - it was the worst time in our lives. In these past months since October 2007 I've become closer with God, I've began meeting wonderful people, I've gained this passion for a cause higher than myself in hopes to better Hayden's life and the lives of others, and now Palin has this connection with my new passion. It's been a strange year of new things in my life - but my life has never been so fulfilling. I don't know if I'm making sense but I just keep getting these signs and I know there was a reason we were chosen for this task - and I'm going to do everything I can to not ignore this calling.

God Bless - Mike

1 comment:

Haydens Nannie said...

I am so proud to be able to say you are my son. I wish I could take credit for who you are - but no one could have taught you to be the man that you are. You are truly blessed. You have taken what God has given you and turned it into a positive. I know that you and Tina will do great things for Hayden and all the Fragile X Familys out there. With All My Love Haydens Nannie