Thursday, August 25, 2011

Get out of Dodge

For three years now I watched somewhat jealously (ok a lot jealous) all the kids that go running excitedly into their mommies arms after school. Hayden has always been a "get out of dodge" after school kid. No talking, no hugs, no nothing. Just take my back back and lets get out of here. Never cared who it was that was getting him out of there just happy someone was. Not that he doesn't like school or anything like that its just that at the end of the day he's just done and its time to go home. Well that was until this year. This year I hear momma half way down the hall. When he sees me his little face lights up and he runs to me and gives me the biggest hug. Is it bad that I have started hiding around the corner just to make it more exciting when he sees me? Nope not at all. For years I have watched and yearned for this. It's my time!! I plan to enjoy it until he stops. This morning I dropped him off in his class room and as I headed down the hall I heard his little voice from the door way "momma"....I turn around and say "yes baby"..and that same little voice says "I love you goodbye". "I love you too baby and I am so proud of you have a great day". Yes I cried a little (ok a lot). This is why I won't let him ride the bus thank you very much. I will not miss this every day. So all of you out there "Mike Makris" who think I should give up my need to control and let my little boy ride the bus...HA no way!!! Maybe next year or maybe when he goes to college.

First Day of School

This has only been our first week of school and although I am not thrilled with a few things this year - we'll save all of that for another post after I have to get all "momma bear" on the situation - for now I am letting it go. It is only the first week after all. His transition has been amazing. Generally the first week of school has always been really tough on Hayden. I thought we'd have issues this year especially because his room is new and we were on vacation the week before. I was wrong as I sometimes am. This year seems to be really coming together nicely. Not one meltdown and no tantrums getting ready or getting into the school. Way to go Hayden!!

Let me clear something up before I offend someone. I'm not anti bus at all. It's just that there is no reason for Hayden to ride the bus. I am a stay at home mom with no other kids at home so I just don't see the need. I am in no way saying kids shouldn't ride the bus or that I have something against it. Other than my husband being right that I do not like to give up control when it comes to Hayden. I know so many of my friends little guys just have a much better time transitioning to and from school with the bus. I just wanted you all to know that I am not anti bus...just anti someone else having control.

Quick update on our foster/adopt situation. I am much calmer then my last post and have everything that I can physically have ready..ready. Now we wait until that first call and go from there. My biggest fear is getting that call late at night when Mike is not home. He just calms me. I know if he is there everything will be alright. He just does that for me. I will be a freaking mess if he is not here. With no family close by to call for help it scares me half to death. I have had nightmares about it. Being woken up in the middle of the night with babies on the doorstep. Yes I know this is not how it is going to happen but tell that to my night time sub-conscience. Mark my words no big event ever goes uneventful or smooth for us. It always works out and we end up laughing about it later. I expect this will be no different. Stay tuned for the excitement.

Little tidbit, did you know where the phrase "get out of dodge" came from. The phrase was made famous by the TV show "Gunsmoke," in which villians were often commanded to "get the h@#! out of Dodge." The phrase took on its current meaning in the 1960s and 70s when teenagers began to use it in its current form.

Right now I am listening to Hayden sing "History in the making" by Darius Rucker. I have to laugh cause not only does he sing so darn cute but how appropriate for this stage of our world.

This could be one of those memories We want to hold on to, cling to, One we can’t forget The door to forever, What if this was that moment That chance worth taking, History in the making

I took the last first kiss line out cause it didn't fit our situation as much as the rest...lol. Not to diminish my last first kiss cause it was AMAZING and I will never forget it....

Love,
Tina
This is how we spent one of the last days of summer vacation!! "Gentleman start your engines". The man and little man in my life had an amazing time and I am glad they invited me to come along this time.

No comments: